Introducing Woodwork in Early Years Education
Wednesday 5 June @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pm£100
Lead Facilitator: Pete Moorhouse
Audience: Leaders and teachers working in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
This practical workshop will look at ways in which woodworking can be safely introduced in your early years setting. We will look at the theory and how woodwork meets many learning and development aspects of the EYFS. We will examine the historical context and look at examples from other countries that have been working successfully with wood for many years. Participants will explore the tools, gain confidence and share the experience of making creations in wood.
During the sessions participants will have the opportunity to:
- Understand the value and theory of woodwork
- Learn about the historical context of woodwork
- Understand the potential of woodwork for creativity and critical thinking
- Learn how to introduce woodwork safely, implementing an effective risk assessment
- Understand the most suitable tools for young children and how to use them
- Be confident to develop a woodworking area
- Know where to buy the most appropriate tools and materials